Ordering Copies Military Service Records

Copy Requests

Request copies of your Military Service Records from U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA) online: https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/ 

You can request documents from your Official Military Personnel File to review and download.

You can request your:

  • DD214
  • DD215
  • Report of Separation
  • Other release papers

You can also request documents with information about your service, such as your:

  • Orders and endorsements
  • Performance reports
  • Awards and decorations (commendatory items)
  • Qualifications, licenses, and certificates
  • Security clearance

Other Options

  • Mail or fax a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).
    Get Form SF 180 to download
  • Write a letter to the NPRC. Send it to:

    1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis, Missouri 63138

  • Visit the NPRC in person
  • Contact your state or county Veterans agency
  • Hire an independent researcher


There is no charge for a copy of a filed military discharge.