Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they can be hazardous. The primary hazards to avoid when using them are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electric shock or electrocution, and fire.
The Town of Mansfield would like you to know that there are simple steps you can take to prevent the loss of life and property resulting from improper use of portable generators.
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Hazards
Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents.
Never use generators in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces, or other enclosed or partially enclosed areas, even with ventilation.
Follow manufacturer's instructions.
Install battery-operated or plug-in (with battery backup) carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home, following manufacturer's instructions.
Test CO alarms often and replace batteries when needed.
Avoid Electrical Hazards
Keep the generator dry. Operate on a dry surface under an open, canopy like structure.
Dry your hands before touching the generator.
Plug appliances directly into generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor rated extension cord. Make sure entire extension cord is free of cuts or tears and the plug has all 3 prongs, especially a grounding pin.
Never plug the generator into a wall outlet. This practice, known as backfeeding, can cause an electrocution risk to utility workers and others served by the same utility transformer.
If necessary to connect the generator to house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install the appropriate transfer switch.
Avoid Fire Hazards
Before refueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
Always store fuel outside of living areas in properly labeled, non-glass containers.